Monday, March 7, 2011

Reaching out with Snow Leopard Conservancy India Trust

For the Children I made a few trips out with Snow Leopard Conservancy India Trust, to various flood affected areas in Ladakh last September (2010). When Radhika-lay suggested I help with reaching out to the children, I was both floored and frightened. Let me sweep animal poop, help mend villagers' livestock barrier, whatever. I am never good with kids, neither did I least suspected that I would be dealing with little ones especially when the organisation I was talking to deals with Snow Leopards! I worried about failing the children, worried about communication barriers, worried about lack of experience with children, worried about being worried out. But it was such a heart-opening experience, and a lung-bursting one too. To work on the games, jump about and act silly for the keeping the spirit and momentum up at high altitude was not easy. And I can't speak Ladakhi beyond "Julley!" and "Khumzang Inna Lay!" It was hot and draining in those stuffy tents. Most of the time I was struggling with being dehydrated my migraine was pounding right out from my ears. But every ounce of energy burnt was more than worth it. Joy is a transparent transaction. Joy is also deadly infectious, you just have to be willing. I feel redeemed learning how simple it is to make someone happy. Especially when the smiles and chuckles are beaming from tiny faces. Thank you Radhika-lay, I still remember Very Well that moment you sat across from my sofa saying how you think I would be great with kids. The kids were great for me and you probably saw that already. And to the crazy girls of SLC, I miss your crazy laughters so much girls!!!! Let's party again, "It's Time To Disco"!!!

No comments: